Vinton Public Library Meeting – September 12, 2018
The meeting was called to order at 5:00 p.m.
Those present were: Kim Johnson, Tina Nelson, Eric Upmeyer, Brent Patterson, Deb Rundlett, Matt Salger, Jeff Mangold and Lori Smith. Also present was Virginia Holsten.
Excused: Jeff Peterson
Minutes of the August meeting were approved. Motion by Salger, 2nd by Rundlett.
Treasurer’s report was approved. Motion by Salger, 2nd by Mangold.
Correspondence: Received correspondence from Mike Abernathy regarding donation for children’s books in memory of his mother, Vicky Abernathy. Reviewed correspondence from the County Attorney in reference to the attempted vandalism/break-in.
Old Business –
· Craft Beer Fund Raiser was held on August 11, 2018. Matt Phippen and Jim Mayhew reported that they felt the event was a success and heard very positive feedback. They stated that they would be available for hire next year if we want to continue the event.
New Business –
· Landscaping – Virginia requested approval for removing the bushes in front of the library. The weeds overtake the bushes and are difficult to maintain. Would like something that looks nice and is easier to maintain. Motion by Nelson, 2nd by Rundlett.
· AA approached us requesting a room to use as their meeting place. Discussion was held with no motion carrying.
· Discussion to amend library hours over the Thanksgiving holiday to close Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Motion by Salger, 2nd by Upmeyer.
· Virginia requested permission to attend the ILA conference in Cedar Rapids on 10/4/18. Motion by Nelson, 2nd by Salger.
Director’s Report –
· Virginia reported that the carpets have been cleaned but spots remain. The carpet is 25 years old so there will be visible wear and tear. Have implemented a “No Food or Drink” in library policy.
· The board room could use some blinds or shades. Will check with McDowells to see what they have available. Discussed adding a chair rail and wallpaper border to protect the walls from chair scuffs.
· Virginia reported that one of the library employees started receiving longevity pay that we did not allow for in the budget. The budget will not need to be amended as the increase is not extreme. We had not received the quarterly disbursement from the City. City Clerk may need to be reminded to make the disbursement to us.
Meeting adjourned, motion by Salger, 2nd by Nelson.