April Minutes

Vinton Public Library Meeting – April 11, 2018

The meeting was called to order at 5:00 p.m.

Those present were:  Kim Johnson, Jeff Peterson, Matt Salger, Eric Upmeyer, Tina Nelson, Brent Patterson and Lori Smith.  Also present was Virginia Holsten.

Excused: Rundlett & Mangold

Minutes of the March meeting were approved.  Motion by Salger, 2nd by Nelson.

Treasurer’s report was approved.  Motion by Salger, 2nd by Upmeyer.

Correspondence:  Thank you s from  Chad Lewis, the Bridge Ladies, and Morris and Ida Higgins were shared.

Old Business –

·        A location for the tree once it is moved inside was discussed.  Motion by Nelson, 2nd by Peterson to place the tree by the fireplace.

·        Discussed the addition of placing “wall words” behind Lani’s desk.  Words could be a compilation of library terms or programs that the library provides such as Hoopla or Bridges.  The words can be in various colors, removed easily and replaced as needed.  Motion by Salger, 2nd by Peterson to proceed.  

 

New Business –

·        Discussed the possibility of offering a micro-brewery beer tasting event as a fund raiser.  Johnson offered to help research vendors.  Salger indicated that hard cider tasting may also be an alternative.  Discussed having the cider tasting in the fall.  Motion by Salger, 2nd by Peterson to proceed.

Director’s Report –

·        Virginia reported that she was informed it would be better to replace the carpet with carpet squares in the west entry way so that they could be more easily replaced if damaged.

·        Virginia indicated that we have patrons who stand outside waiting for the bus to pick them up.  She will look into prices for a bench so that they have a place to wait comfortably.

·        The next “First Thursday” program to be held in May will consist of our Policy Chief and City Administrator.

 

 

Meeting adjourned, motion by Peterson, 2nd by Salger.

Respectfully submitted,

Lori Smith

March Minutes

Vinton Public Library Meeting – March 14, 2018

The meeting was called to order at 5:00 p.m.

Those present were:  Kim Johnson, Deb Rundlett, Brent Patterson, Tina Nelson, Eric Upmeyer, Matt Salger, Jeff Mangold, Jeff Peterson and Lori Smith.  Also present was Virginia Holsten.

Absent: None

Minutes of the February meeting were approved.  Motion by Mangold, 2nd by Rundlett.

Treasurer’s report was approved.  Motion by Salger, 2nd by Nelson.

Correspondence:  None

Old Business –

·        Discussed the purchase of two new computers.  It was decided that Amy and Virginia would take ownership of the computers and their old computers would be used as the public access computers.

·        The process of moving the tree inside was discussed.  Mark Phippen will be clear-coating the tree with a thicker coating in order to preserve it.  He is waiting for the weather to cooperate in regards to temperature and wind in order to spray the tree so that there will be no overspray onto vehicles.

New Business –

·        Discussed the addition of a new wall photo behind Lani’s desk.  Virginia brought a couple of examples from Tharp Design for review.  Board discussed their thoughts and will look for other photo options.  Board would like to see a photo within the city limits of Vinton. 

Director’s Report –

·        Virginia reported that there have been some repairs that required attention again this last month.  Fixtures are deteriorating with age as most are 25 years old.

·        Virginia indicated that the “First Thursday” program was a success.  Kurt Karr will be the speaker for April.  Chad Lewis will present a discussion on Iowa’s strange history on March 20th.

·        Virginia reported that the painting is progressing.  Upstairs is receiving its fresh coat now.

·        The slip printer used for receipts has died.  Virginia will look into replacing it.

 

Meeting adjourned, motion by Salger, 2nd by Mangold.

Respectfully submitted,

Lori Smith

February Minutes

Vinton Public Library Meeting – February 14, 2018

The meeting was called to order at 5:05 p.m. by Tina Nelson

Those present:  Deb Rundlett, Lori Smith. Tina Nelson, Jeff Mangold, Matt Salger and Virginia Holsten.  Excused:  Kim Johnson, Jeff Peterson, and Eric Upmeyer.  Absent:  Brent Patterson

Minutes of the January meeting were approved.  Motion by Salger, 2nd by Smith

Treasurer’s report was approved.  Motion by Salger, 2nd by Smith.  The check written to Virginia was approved as she had paid the cleaning service with her personal check due to a lack of authorized signatures on the normal check.  Everyone agreed.

Correspondence:  None

Old Business –

·        Painting project is continuing.  The lower level is completed and is looking quite sharp.  Steven will return to do the upper level when he has a couple of other projects completed.  Since the library is pretty torn up during this process, the staff is quite okay with waiting and so is the board.  Because the paint the dark paint that was chosen requires three coats instead of the two quoted and the fact that Virginia would like her window frames, door and interior door frame to match the new color, an additional sum of $500 will be paid upon completion of the project.  Lori moved, Matt seconded, all agreed.

·        Computers were discussed.  Virginia reported that council will be giving us money for 12 new monitors.  We may try upgrading to Windows 10 temporarily before investing in computers.  Truthfully it’s all up in the air right now.

 

·        New Business –

 

·        There was none.

Director’s Report –

·        Virginia reported they had learned at the city-wide insurance meeting that premiums were dropping by 7%.  An additional $10,000 was added to health insurance costs for the coming fiscal year.  Virginia asked Chris to subtract it from our asking.  

·        Chad Lewis will be here March 20th. 

Meeting adjourned, at 5:35 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Virginia Holsten

Acting secretary (Lori‘s hand is numb)